It’s that time…you know…you gotta get gifts and get them NOW so you can get them wrapped, shipped and there on time.
All too often when shopping for a foodie or a cook, you MIGHT think that the cool, new gadget is THE thing to buy…um yeah, NO! Not unless it is really useful or specifically asked for. Here’s a short list of what NOT to buy:
- Any special formed baking pan – especially if it can only be used once a year. You know those muffin top pans, Xmas tree pans, whoopee pie pans? Leave them in the store for some other sucker unless the giftee has asked for them
- With VERY few exceptions, never buy a woman anything with an electrical cord unless she asks for it by name
- Unitaskers with few exceptions are not good ideas. If you find one that is SO friggin’ cool you have to buy it, buy it for yourself and see how often you use it before buying it for others.
So here is my list of things to buy NOW for the foodies in your life:
- Cookbooks – based on subjects your Foodie enjoys. One of my fave gifts from Hubby is a signed copy of Pickles, Pigs and Whiskey. He found out where the author was doing a book signing, called the store and asked for their help and they had the author sign it and then they shipped it to me. Word of advice, you will probably get that type of service from an indie bookstore, not a big box retailer. These are my faves right now and YES, they are all signed!
- Maldon salt tins make a fab stocking stuffer! Travel size Maldon for your purse/pocket!
- THIS pan from The Pampered Chef® – because it is two in one. The nonstick cast aluminum base can be used stove-top or oven, with or without the glass lid. The tempered glass lid can be used on its own (oven only) as a separate baking vessel for side dishes! Bonus – the glass lid flips and stores IN the metal base.
- A subscription to a great magazine – right now I love Bon Appetit and Imbibe
- A fab Foodie Shirt – Go to The Chivery and get my fave pig shirt, or try these on for size
- Remember that we LOVE to eat, not just cook, so a gift of food is ALWAYS welcome. ANYTHING from Dean & DeLuca is a great choice, but also think about a gift card to a local restaurant.
- Support small business when you can. I like Plymouth Artisan Cheese – their delivery is a bit on the slow side sometimes, so order this now for your New Year’s Celebrations!